Threat Intelligence provides the power to protect your organisation against emerging threats.
SecureWorks® Counter Threat Unit™ (CTU) security intelligence research team delivers this power by offering learnings and observations of the cyber threat landscape in a monthly Threat Intelligence Executive Summary.
In this report you will learn the latest security trends from the previous month that were identified as significant by the CTU™ research team. The Executive Monthly report covers trends as they relate to vulnerabilities, malware, threat actors and methodologies, and law enforcement and government.
SecureWorks Threat Intelligence Executive Summary — September 2016 discusses the following events and trends that were significant in August 2016:
- Firewall Vulnerabilities Exposed - Security vendors scrambled to address multiple vulnerabilities in firewalls after threat actors dumped exploits.
- RIG Popularity Increased - The RIG exploit kit was one of the most versatile and popular tools to compromise targeted systems with multiple malware families.
- Ransomware Diversified - The Locky, Cerber, CryptXXX, and TorrentLocker ransomware families diversified their infrastructure to expand into new regions and increase monetisation.
- POS Systems Breached - An organised crime threat group allegedly breached multiple point-of-sale (POS) systems for financial fraud.
- Threat Group Objectived Varied - Government-sponsored threat groups used extortion, cyberespionage, and disruption for intelligence gathering, financial gain, and intimidation.
- Aggressive Policies Endorsed - Governments and law enforcement bodies endorsed aggressive policies to pursue suspected cybercriminals.